My first choice for short rows in stockinette, is the shadow wrap method.
- Lift the stitch directly below the first stitch on the left needle from back to front and place it on the left needle.
- Knit it.
- Slip the new stitch onto the left needle. Now you have a doublestitch. Turn work.
- Slip the next stitch with yarn in front.
- Lift the stich below the slipped stitch onto the left needle.
- Purl it. Now you have a doublestitch on the right needle.
- Slip it onto the left needle. Turn work.
These double stitches are considered as one stitch afterwards. So you knit / purl both loops together when you have to knit / purl them in the next row.